This recipe was submitted by Amy B. These are great when corn tortilas just won’t do!
2 cups Domata Recipe Ready Flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp sugar
1¼ tsp salt
2 TBs vegetable or other shortening
¾ cup warm water
1. Combine all of the dry ingredients, then cut in or work in the shortening using a pastry blender. Once the dough is sand consistency…
2. Add the warm water and mix well.
3. If too dry continue to add water (up to another 1/4 cup ) until a soft dough is formed.
4. Heat a griddle or frying pan to medium heat. Divide dough into 6 – 8 balls. Form a ball of dough into a flattened disk.
5. Using a rolling pin, roll into a round disk about ⅛ inch thick and about 8 inches in diameter (I use a small plate and cut around it for a nice round tortilla)
6. Bake one at a time on a hot griddle until the surface bubbles. Turn only once, the first side should have browned spots.
7. Flip and cook until just starts to brown on second side.
8. If serving immediately, Keep warm in a tortilla keeper or wrapped in a cloth.
You can also store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week or freeze for up to 30 days.